New Years Goals. People make them to get healthy. To save more money. Be calmer. Exercise more. Bitch less.
Every year I come up with a list (call them goals, resolutions, intentions or whatever) for the upcoming year.
No hockey mom is perfect, not even after ten grueling seasons, so here is my updated list for 2018.
- Get to a least one out of town game. While I am insanely grateful for the parents who Periscope our games, it's JUST NOT THE SAME! And I missed another championship win, in a shoot out no less, this year already.
- Get my goalie's skates to our OxyPow guy (thank you Jay) more often than once a year. I really don't want to be charged with involuntary manslaughter due to asphyxiation because of the hockey funk that my daughter's sockless feet produce on the weekly.
- I will no longer feel weird for my slightly inappropriate rink wear. As in sandals. Yes, I wear them to the rink and yes I know that most hockey parents throughout the country have to gear up like they are doing a dogsled run in Alaska. But we are here in Arizona and honestly it's sandal season here year round. Plus, I am not alone. One of our dads wears shorts and sandals to every practice and game.
- Keep up on our adventures and post more frequently. After all, we are a team, right? Right? Everyone on three.....TEAM!
- Don't hold my breath during breakaways and shootouts. This one will be tough because I think every hockey mom instinctively sucks her breath in every time a shooter gets loose or your goalie has to face a SIX round shootout (happened a few days ago and I nearly passed out and that was just from the Periscope!)
- Try not to let the sounds of whistles, plastic water bottles filled with pennies, or cowbells (I could just throttle Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken, no we DO NOT need more cowbell) from the opposing teams bother me.
- Remember that I only have so much time before the car rides to practice stop, those breakways and shootouts are a thing of the past and the only lingering reminder of those days will be the photos, memories, and this blog. Carpe De Hockey.
What are YOUR goals for the season? Comment here or find me on Instagram @sharonenck or on Facebook @puckgal
Here's to a happy, hockey filled 2018!